PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Growling! - Page 3 Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Growling! - Page 3 I_vote_lcapGrowling! - Page 3 I_voting_barGrowling! - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Growling! - Page 3 I_vote_lcapGrowling! - Page 3 I_voting_barGrowling! - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Growling!

Go down 
+14
RSis4dummies
Vggamegod
StarchaserAria
NightwalkerRicku
kbjami
Blindly Evil
MetalNiller
TCJacko
PowerMetalLivesOn
WinterSon
balrog
joplajop
Rokai
Metallhead123
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Metallhead123
Warrior King
Warrior King
Metallhead123

Male Number of posts : 539
User Reputation : 5
User Points : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 am

Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:
I think I've already said it but okay.

They sound stupid, especially in music. And it doesn't take much skill, it's like giving the bored singer something to do.

If you cut away all growling (and aggresive vocals), then you have reduced Heavy Metal by almost 50%! scratch

If you say you like Heavy Metal, then you like growling vocals to!

This one. Heavy Metal isn't about growling. Death Metal is.

Hmmm, I would agree on that... But still Death Metal is a part of Heavy Metal, right? Very Happy

No, Heavy Metal and Death Metal are both a genre in metal. They haven't got much relation. Brothers, you might say.

Uh no Rokai, you may wanna do the research. Heavy Metal and Metal are the same thing. It started off as Heavy Metal and was later reduced to Metal but it's still Heavy Metal.

Now Death Metal IS a part of Heavy Metal! As is black metal, as are all types of growling/screaming genres.

Anyway, I'd say screaming and growling take up 40-50% of Metal!

Last edited by Metallhead123 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalHeadOwnage
MetalNiller
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
MetalNiller

Male Number of posts : 346
User Reputation : 2
User Points : 49
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Metallhead123 wrote:
Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:

They sound stupid, especially in music. And it doesn't take much skill, it's like giving the bored singer something to do.

If you cut away all growling (and aggresive vocals), then you have reduced Heavy Metal by almost 50%! scratch

Hmmm, I would agree on that... But still Death Metal is a part of Heavy Metal, right? Very Happy

No, Heavy Metal and Death Metal are both a genre in metal. They haven't got much relation. Brothers, you might say.

Uh no Rokai, you may wanna do the research. Heavy Metal and Metal are the same thing. It started off as Metal and was later reduced to Metal but it's still Heavy Metal.

Now Death Metal IS a part of Heavy Metal! As is black metal, as are all types of growling/screaming genres.

You are my man, Metalhead Very Happy
I totally agree with you Wink
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Alright, genre sublesson here.

The original metal is classified as Classic/Heavy Metal, which was founded on the base of blues-laden hard rock.
As it progressed, you have the more speedy melodic NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden and Saxon, alongside then, harder forms of progressive rock took a foothold. At the tide of the 80s, you get thrash metal, which is an empowerment of classic metal mixed with some of the typical...punkish attitude founded during the 70s. Behind the mainstream thrash, there was the first wave of black metal, founded by Bathory, and of course, Celtic Frost, which also popularized avant-garde metal.
At the later turn of the 80s you get Metal's worst face, GLAM (Gay Los Angeles metal). Mid 80s however, you start seeing the rise of power metal bands like Helloween.
Death Metal took its tide in the very late 80s with its greatest influences being Slayer, bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, and especially DEATH, popularized a doomish approach to metal, and it was called Death Metal.

The original "Growler" I must say has to be Quorthon of Bathory in 1983, who released the first "black" metal album reorded by a 4-track recording tool, and released it. The quality was so poor, and the riffs brooding and dark, and the vocals, unlike anyone has EVER heard. BATHORY was the 80s to me, Bathory was the greatest thing to happen to metal in my opinion. Not only did Bathory influence the creation of the notorious second wave of black metal, but Bathory also gave rise to the iconic Viking Metal, alongside bands such as ManOwaR.

Metal is so diverse, naturally a subgenre has to be created for every experimental thing.
The 90s were the prime period for metal. It was the 90s that you start to see experimentation take extreme hold.
First of which is the notorious Norwegian Black Metal scene, with Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, and Immortal.
Around the same time you see progressive stuff give rise, with Dream Theater taking a foothold with "Images and Words" in 1992, and Opeth's avant-garde black/progressive/death release "Orchid" in 1995.
Bands like In Flames and At the Gates popularized a melodic approach to death metal, and Swedish former-death metallers Therion began inventing the sound of symphonic metal around this period.
It gets better! At the very late 90s, we get folk metal coming from Finland with the help of a couple of drunk guys who decided to make a band that sung about trolls!

It is all METAL though, but it's so hard to just classify it into one sound, especially today, when there are over 35 sub-genres of metal total!
As for that comment Alex, growling doesn't take 40-50% of metal.
It takes about 80% of the talented, underrated, non-mainstream ones. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
Blindly Evil
Peasant
Peasant
Blindly Evil

Male Number of posts : 3
User Reputation : 0
User Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 4:35 pm

^ If you mean Finntroll, they got their name because they sung in Swedish, and said it sounded "damn trollish". But close enough. Borderline TL;DR, though.
Back to top Go down
Rokai
Warrior King
Warrior King
Rokai

Male Number of posts : 1637
User Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:39 am

Metallhead123 wrote:
Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Rokai wrote:

Uh no Rokai, you may wanna do the research. Heavy Metal and Metal are the same thing. It started off as Heavy Metal and was later reduced to Metal but it's still Heavy Metal.

Surprisingly, you're right. But it's pretty stupid then, since some bands are simply Heavy Metal and other bands are in a sub-genre of heavy metal but they sound nothing like it. Lame.

Still, I hate death metal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Kistarcsa
MetalNiller
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
MetalNiller

Male Number of posts : 346
User Points : 49
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 am

WinterSon wrote:

The original metal is classified as Classic/Heavy Metal, which was founded on the base of blues-laden hard rock.
As it progressed, you have the more speedy melodic NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden and Saxon, alongside then, harder forms of progressive rock took a foothold. At the tide of the 80s, you get thrash metal, which is an empowerment of classic metal mixed with some of the typical...punkish attitude founded during the 70s. Behind the mainstream thrash, there was the first wave of black metal, founded by Bathory, and of course, Celtic Frost, which also popularized avant-garde metal.
At the later turn of the 80s you get Metal's worst face, GLAM (Gay Los Angeles metal). Mid 80s however, you start seeing the rise of power metal bands like Helloween.
Death Metal took its tide in the very late 80s with its greatest influences being Slayer, bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, and especially DEATH, popularized a doomish approach to metal, and it was called Death Metal.

The original "Growler" I must say has to be Quorthon of Bathory in 1983, who released the first "black" metal album reorded by a 4-track recording tool, and released it. The quality was so poor, and the riffs brooding and dark, and the vocals, unlike anyone has EVER heard. BATHORY was the 80s to me, Bathory was the greatest thing to happen to metal in my opinion. Not only did Bathory influence the creation of the notorious second wave of black metal, but Bathory also gave rise to the iconic Viking Metal, alongside bands such as ManOwaR.

Metal is so diverse, naturally a subgenre has to be created for every experimental thing.
The 90s were the prime period for metal. It was the 90s that you start to see experimentation take extreme hold.
First of which is the notorious Norwegian Black Metal scene, with Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, and Immortal.
Around the same time you see progressive stuff give rise, with Dream Theater taking a foothold with "Images and Words" in 1992, and Opeth's avant-garde black/progressive/death release "Orchid" in 1995.
Bands like In Flames and At the Gates popularized a melodic approach to death metal, and Swedish former-death metallers Therion began inventing the sound of symphonic metal around this period.
It gets better! At the very late 90s, we get folk metal coming from Finland with the help of a couple of drunk guys who decided to make a band that sung about trolls!

It is all METAL though, but it's so hard to just classify it into one sound, especially today, when there are over 35 sub-genres of metal total!

Thx for sorting things out WinterSon (cool name, btw!) Very Happy

Classic Heavy Metal are some of the very first Metalbands who emerged! (:
Back to top Go down
NightwalkerRicku
Warrior King
Warrior King
NightwalkerRicku

Male Number of posts : 794
User Reputation : 1
User Points : 380
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:17 am

WinterSon wrote:

thats awesome!! thanks for all this info, i always wanted to learn how metal begun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ricku13
StarchaserAria
Traveller
Traveller
StarchaserAria

Female Number of posts : 47
User Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm

First of all i want to thank Winterson about his info Very Happy ! As about grownling, it is true that many bands overdo it but i really like some death metal songs
Back to top Go down
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Male Number of posts : 724
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:36 am

my first post Razz

anyway; i agree with what someone said earlier about growls being an acquired taste, i used to hate them, but now i can deal with them - i love Equilibrium's music, and they growl and scream like hell :p

but this doesn't mean i like death/black metal Razz
Back to top Go down
RSis4dummies
Peasant
Peasant
RSis4dummies

Male Number of posts : 4
User Points : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Lame   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 pm

I don't like growling at all because it doesn't give me any special or unique feelings, because i can't make out crap.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Peasant
Peasant
Scott

Male Number of posts : 4
User Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Death Metal being my second favourite kind of metal, I quite like growled vocals myself, but I must disagree with something in the OP.

http://www.myspace.com/desultorsweden

This proves death metal sounds AWESOME with clean vocals.
Back to top Go down
AJ190
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
AJ190

Male Number of posts : 334
User Points : 388
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I think the reason people don't usually like growling is because they initially like hearing the lyrics perfectly. It took me a long time to get into growls, and sometimes when I hear very deep growls, I simply can't enjoy it.
At first, I thought growls gave metal a more "evil" feel, but now it mostly sounds like a musical tool to me that anything else. When I first heard Wintersun, it was an adventure for me. They already seemed like a "darker" band to me, but the black metal-like vocals made it seem even more dark, and I enjoyed it in a strange way. After that, I got into Death's first album pretty fast, and haven't slowed down since.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/yesitsaj
NightwalkerRicku
Warrior King
Warrior King
NightwalkerRicku

Male Number of posts : 794
User Points : 380
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 3:59 am

to me growling means agression and thats the main reason why i used to listen to metalcore.the growling technique along with the lyrics create a great effect/atmosphere you could say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ricku13
metaldrummer93
Warrior King
Warrior King
metaldrummer93

Male Number of posts : 764
User Points : 76
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:24 am

I NEVER used to like anything without clean vocals, however things have changed. I listen to quite a few 'growly' bands now as long as the music makes it worth while, such as Amon Amarth, Eluviete, Ensiferum, Kivumitsan Druidi and Heathen Foray.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jasbmetaldrummer
7YearsOfBlood
Peasant
Peasant
7YearsOfBlood

Female Number of posts : 5
User Points : 5
Registration date : 2013-01-07

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

WinterSon wrote:

We see the 4 non-drummers of Amon Amarth headbanging in synchronicity.
All of a sudden Lundström unleashes a steady galloping assault on his bass, Söderberg and Mikkonen unleash their double flurries of droning guitars, burning away flags and buildings with the power of the sound, all awaits Johan Hegg, to bring out the mighty bellows of Odin.
All of a sudden he unleashes a high falsetto and the crowd goes away.
Oh boy, Amon Amarth just lost FANS!

I just died a little bit inside imagining the glorious Johan Hegg singing like Miley Cyrus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Growling! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Growling!   Growling! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Growling!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PowerMetalLivesOn :: The Metal Kingdom :: General Metal-
Jump to: