PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
What do you like in metal? Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcapWhat do you like in metal? I_voting_barWhat do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcapWhat do you like in metal? I_voting_barWhat do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

What do you like in metal?

Go down 
+11
WinterSon
Chaosdragon94
snipermage
balrog
King_Fingolfin
TCJacko
Rokai
Siemon
NightwalkerRicku
PowerMetalLivesOn
Thebobert5
15 posters

What do you look for most in your metal?
vocals (soft)
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcap5%What do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
vocals (loud/screaming/growl)
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcap10%What do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
story
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcap48%What do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap
 48% [ 10 ]
music (soft and easy)
 10% [ 2 ]
music (hard and heavy)
What do you like in metal? I_vote_lcap19%What do you like in metal? I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 4 ]
music (other)
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Thebobert5
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
Thebobert5

Male Number of posts : 352
User Reputation : 1
User Points : 282
Registration date : 2008-11-18

What do you like in metal? Empty
PostSubject: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 am

With this being about power metal, I have a feeling what the answer will be, but I'm still curious where everyone stands. (Pick the one that MOST suits you. I know different moods call for different things.)

Myself, I go for story most often. I may like a certain sound more than another and truthfully, I enjoy just about all metal. (And tolerate if not enjoy other genres.) But if I get my hands on a concept album, then it's going to be on loop for the next few days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/thebobert5
PowerMetalLivesOn
Warrior King
Warrior King
PowerMetalLivesOn

Male Number of posts : 1606
User Reputation : 7
User Points : 542
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 am

i went for story because of iron maiden being mainly stories in their songs

although don't get me wrong, i am one to love songs about "far off quests, slaying dragons, fighting evil, comradship, hope" etc lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/powermetalliveson
NightwalkerRicku
Warrior King
Warrior King
NightwalkerRicku

Male Number of posts : 794
User Points : 380
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 am

oh well i voted for vocals (screaming/loud etc.). i am mainly a nu-metal fan but i also rly love power metal Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ricku13
Siemon
Traveller
Traveller
Siemon

Male Number of posts : 52
User Reputation : 0
User Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:55 am

Sometimes i like heavy bands... but i mostly go for the sof ones...
and there must be a story in it off course!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarii
Rokai
Warrior King
Warrior King
Rokai

Male Number of posts : 1637
User Points : 2

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:41 am

I don't know I like harder music but some soft musics too. The thing I hate is growling/screaming vocals.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Kistarcsa
Thebobert5
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
Thebobert5

Male Number of posts : 352
User Points : 282

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 am

As for music, I can go with both extremes. Perfect example: My Zune playlist just gave me Ayreon then Dimmu Borgir.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/thebobert5
TCJacko
Warrior King
Warrior King
TCJacko

Male Number of posts : 1372
Location : Somewhere Back In Time...on the Cliffs Of Dover...the Valley Of The Damned..Inside The Winter Storm
User Points : 228

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 am

Iron Maiden, Dragonforce etc etc. all story lyrics. I HAD to choose story.
Back to top Go down
King_Fingolfin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
King_Fingolfin

Male Number of posts : 265
User Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 am

Vocal style don't matter too much to me. I voted music, hard and heavy. I almost said story, but I wouldn't base my purchase around that one aspect.
Still, if the song tells a story, that can only make it better Wink
Back to top Go down
balrog
Warrior King
Warrior King
balrog

Male Number of posts : 507
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 40
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

should be able to choose multiple >.>
Back to top Go down
http://freewebs.com/hallflukai
snipermage
Soldier
Soldier
snipermage

Male Number of posts : 228
User Points : -3
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 pm

One of the best things about metal is the lyrics usly tell a epic story or have deep meaning unlike rap or hip hop witch suck horribly
Back to top Go down
Chaosdragon94
Soldier
Soldier
Chaosdragon94

Male Number of posts : 242
User Points : 76
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 9:13 am

snipermage wrote:
One of the best things about metal is the lyrics usly tell a epic story or have deep meaning unlike rap or hip hop witch suck horribly
Which, not witch. Witches are those evil bitches who conjure up spells or whatever.

But anywho, what I look for most is good vocals, preferably loud/growling/screamo. I HAVE to like the vocals to like a song, and the vocals are my favorite part to listen to. I also enjoy singing to songs. DragonForce is too high to sing to though at most parts =(
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 pm

I like themes, I like epic feels, I like complexity, atmosphere, diversity, and a catch that allows you to notice that band right away.

I dislike a LOT of thrash metal because most of the time I can't tell two bands apart, it is repetitive, the flow is too edgy, and the only atmosphere I get from thrash metal is a headstock up my ass.

I love a lot of Melodic Death, Folk, Power, and Progressive Metal because these genres are not limited to one sound.
They are easy to rework into original styles, and easily combined with each other. Wink

For vocal stylings, I have no huge preference, but the growls have got to sound good for me, by good I don't mean the shit Deathcore squealing, i'm talking the powerful boom of Johan Hegg and Mikael Åkerfeldt, or the unforgettable chills of Jari Mäenpää, Petri Lindroos, and Devin Townsend.
Clean vocals are easy to work with me, but they have to sound special.
Also, super high timbre clean vocals need time to work around me, I dislike Z.P. Theart because, though he has a nice clean voice, it seems too...shall I say...overdone for me.
Clean vocalists such as Steven Wilson, Marco Hietala, Jari Mäenpää, Christopher Bowes, Joacim Cans, and Mikael Åkerfeldt provide the diversity and style I like.

Instrumentalists must be top-notch.
Guitarists...well, i'd rather not have them play Fenders...
Drummers have to be adept and flexible.
Bassists must be audible
And I like a lot of keyboard shit, live with it, keyboards adds a lot of life to metal for me.
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
MetalNiller
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
MetalNiller

Male Number of posts : 346
User Reputation : 2
User Points : 49
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am

WinterSon wrote:
I like themes, I like epic feels, I like complexity, atmosphere, diversity, and a catch that allows you to notice that band right away.

I dislike a LOT of thrash metal because most of the time I can't tell two bands apart, it is repetitive, the flow is too edgy, and the only atmosphere I get from thrash metal is a headstock up my ass.

I love a lot of Melodic Death, Folk, Power, and Progressive Metal because these genres are not limited to one sound.
They are easy to rework into original styles, and easily combined with each other. Wink

For vocal stylings, I have no huge preference, but the growls have got to sound good for me, by good I don't mean the shit Deathcore squealing, i'm talking the powerful boom of Johan Hegg and Mikael Åkerfeldt, or the unforgettable chills of Jari Mäenpää, Petri Lindroos, and Devin Townsend.
Clean vocals are easy to work with me, but they have to sound special.
Also, super high timbre clean vocals need time to work around me, I dislike Z.P. Theart because, though he has a nice clean voice, it seems too...shall I say...overdone for me.
Clean vocalists such as Steven Wilson, Marco Hietala, Jari Mäenpää, Christopher Bowes, Joacim Cans, and Mikael Åkerfeldt provide the diversity and style I like.

Instrumentalists must be top-notch.
Guitarists...well, i'd rather not have them play Fenders...
Drummers have to be adept and flexible.
Bassists must be audible
And I like a lot of keyboard shit, live with it, keyboards adds a lot of life to metal for me.

Well spoken. I can agree to that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
joplajop
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
joplajop

Male Number of posts : 294
User Points : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Story!
Back to top Go down
Shadow501
Traveller
Traveller
Shadow501

Male Number of posts : 34
User Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:08 pm

I love the guitar riffs, the drums, keyboards, pretty much anything as long as it sounds good. But the thing that really hits me is the lyrics themselves, everything else is a welcomed plus for me.
Back to top Go down
yoshimitsublade13
Warrior King
Warrior King
yoshimitsublade13

Male Number of posts : 605
User Points : 26
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Its easier for me say what I like in Power Metal. Reason being is metal (hardcore, mainstream) has been in my life as long as I've been listening to music, due to the influences of older friends and family growing up. The first and only decision I've made for myself regarding metal was to leave that tired ass scene behind and find something that suited me better. If I had to say what those qualities were I'd say epic and motivating themes, cleaner less abrasive lyrical styles, inclusion of instruments and sounds not found in other metals, and a way less angry fan base. Of coarse those aren't absolutes either for the hardcore/mainstream bands or the power/symphonic/speed bands. These are my opinions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you like in metal?   What do you like in metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you like in metal?
Page 1 of 1