PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Iced Earth- I Walk Among You I_vote_lcapIced Earth- I Walk Among You I_voting_barIced Earth- I Walk Among You I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Iced Earth- I Walk Among You I_vote_lcapIced Earth- I Walk Among You I_voting_barIced Earth- I Walk Among You I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Iced Earth- I Walk Among You

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AJ190
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
AJ190

Male Number of posts : 334
User Reputation : 2
User Points : 388
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Empty
PostSubject: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 am

Ol' Barlow is back.
So, if you haven't heard, this album was pretty much 3 covers of old Iced Earth songs, with Matt's vocals. Which you'll either love or hate. But I'm in review mode, so I gotta be neutral. jocolor

Track 1: I Walk Alone
So this song starts out slowly, with Matt's powerful vocals kicking in about 15 seconds in. They fit in quite well with the song. Everything is the song stays pretty simple. The chorus is pretty catchy; saying "Mankind's dishonesty lays them to waste. I am the truth, And I walk alone. Human hypocrisy, exacting their fate I am the truth, And I walk alone." It has slightly deep backing vocals twice in the chorus saying "I will devour" and "I will destroy". All in all, this song has a pretty slow style, which, again, I think fit Matt's voice very well. The songs goes instrumental from about 2:30 to 3:00, and with the rest of the song, keeps the same slow style, then comes back with Matt's deep, baritone voice. Then ends with the same, short, instrumental shown in the beginning.
Score: 4/5
Track 2: Setian Massacre
It starts out with a fast, cool sounding, guitar intro with some impressive drumming. Then, during the intro, comes some really nice high pitched backing vocals. Then Matt's deep voice comes in saying "Screaming in agony. . ." The drumming and guitar keeps the same appeal, until a few parts when Matt says "All that they ever loved/known/dreamt is dead. It does this three times before the chorus. Oh, yes, the chorus. "Yet there's a glint of hope if the chosen can survive." A really nice chorus with some more good backing vocals, which makes me wonder if I like Matt's vocals better or the backing vocals. Haha. I don't know what it is, but the beginning of that chorus just sounds really good. And then, right after the chorus, the solo comes in. A really nice, short solo. Then comes the backing vocals doing what they did earlier in the song. After another chorus, comes another really nice solo. Then after that, everything fades out. A really nice song. After debating with myself, it's my favorite on the album, personally.
Score: 4.8/5
Track 3: The Clouding
Now, it's time for the long song, right? It starts out with a really nice and slow guitar intro. Matt's vocals seem to fit with every song, which shows how good Schaffer is as a musician, and Barlow's vocal range. When he says "As I awake, I have no memory of this", I realized how much different his voice sounded. The "slow chorus" (you'll see what I mean in a sec, haha) sounds pretty simple. It keeps this slow mood until it gets faster, and the lyrics start sounding really good. Saying things like "Never trust in the motives of mankind". It does this for a short time until the song ends. It's probably my second favorite song on the album.
Score: 4.5/5

Overall Score: 4.5/5
I definitely recommend this album if you like Barlow more than the Ripper.

Keep in mind this is my first review, and that I probably made plenty of mistakes. Razz So if you can, go easy on the criticism, if you can. Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/yesitsaj
Nergal131
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
Nergal131

Male Number of posts : 291
User Points : 399
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 am

Well, I don't like Matt more than the Ripper so yeah, tongue

Nah, just kidding, great review, I've heard the whole album is a serious letdown? People don't like it for some reason (can't say it for myself, haven't looked it up yet).
Back to top Go down
AJ190
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
AJ190

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 am

This is an album you either love or hate. I either see good or bad reviews for it. I really didn't think it was that bad, but I'm really open minded so unless it's really obviously bad, I'm not one to give ridiculous criticisms.

My lord, I'm brain dead after reviewing this. silent
Back to top Go down
Nergal131
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
Nergal131

Male Number of posts : 291
User Points : 399
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 am

AJ190 wrote:
This is an album you either love or hate. I either see good or bad reviews for it. I really didn't think it was that bad, but I'm really open minded so unless it's really obviously bad, I'm not one to give ridiculous criticisms.

My lord, I'm brain dead after reviewing this. silent

People blame the Ripper for "draining Schaffer's musical songwriting ability" because of the somewhat failure-albums of the Ripper with Iced Earth (Not talking about Framing Armageddon, love that album). Is that true to an extent?
Back to top Go down
AJ190
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
AJ190

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:05 am

Meh, it could be. I'm not so sure, myself. I think it is up for the listener to decide.
A lot of their albums seemed to be... a bit lackluster with The Ripper, though.
Back to top Go down
BuzzPhil
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
BuzzPhil

Male Number of posts : 458
User Reputation : 3
User Points : 533
Registration date : 2009-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:58 pm

I love Iced Earth... And I love this single... That was a pretty good review!!

Last edited by BuzzPhil on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AJ190
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
AJ190

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks. I really didn't like my review much, myself.
As Stephen King once said; artists are oftentimes the worst judges of their work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth- I Walk Among You   Iced Earth- I Walk Among You Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth- I Walk Among You
Page 1 of 1