PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Heavenly- Virus Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Heavenly- Virus I_vote_lcapHeavenly- Virus I_voting_barHeavenly- Virus I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Heavenly- Virus I_vote_lcapHeavenly- Virus I_voting_barHeavenly- Virus I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Heavenly- Virus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadow501
Traveller
Traveller
Shadow501

Male Number of posts : 34
User Reputation : 0
User Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Hello everybody! Shadow here, giving you my first review album review on the site. Be forewarned: Since this is my first review ever there might be a few mistakes here and there or I just might go overboard with detail, despite me studying other people's reviews on the site. Now before I get started I have to say, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heavenly on the site yet! Just by their most recent album alone(Virus) they are a very good power metal band, and Heavenly was the last band Frederic Leclercq(Current Dragonforce bassist) was in before joining Dragonforce.

Alright, enough fun facts from me, time to get this review started!

1. The Dark Memories- The opening track to the album, the first 5 seconds into the song give off a creepy yet awesome feeling. Soon after Benjamin Sotto(Vocalist) says in an equally eerie voice says: 'Reach out inside you....' I'm not sure if he says 'die' but right as he says the next word after 'you' the guitar riff begins to play. The verse soon follows keeping that eerily awesome feel, but it feels the awesome is now dominant. After the first verse an intense guitar solo/bridge blasts in before Sotto continues to sing with his epic vocals. The keyboards shoot in around the mid point of the second verse, very good keyboard playing I might add. Sotto is now joined in harmony by the two guitarist who also do backing vocals (Charley Corbiaux and Oliver Lapauze) in the third verse ending with emphasis on the drums. After a shriek from Sotto, Corbiaux and/or Lapauze take over vocal duty for the next two verses adding variety to the song. And FINALLY the long delayed chorus--which I think is worth the wait. Sotto returns with his vocals singing in harmony once again with Corbiaux and Lapauze. I think on this entire album Heavenly has done an excellent job on making their choruses sound as awesome as possible, giving you a feeling of great satisfaction once you've heard it. Anyway, the solo sounds great and Heavenly follows the Judas Priest tradition of dueling guitar solos, one guitarist playing a part as the other comes in once the first part is finished. The vocals then return, just Sotto singing the last verse. And the song is ended with that great chorus, equally backed up by all instruments until the song ends.
Rating: 10/10

2. Spill Blood on Fire- Unlike the opening track, "Spill Blood on Fire" starts with a guitar intro that's soon joined with the keyboard. The guitar fades away as the noises of bombs dropping. These few seconds remind me of Metallica's intro to "One" but instead of guitar, keyboard is the sucessor to the recording. Sotto begins his vocals as the other instruments join in, but there is more emphasis on keyboards. As the chorus begins with "Let's talk about hate" the drum seems to switch with the keyboards, giving off a resonating BOOM! sounds after every line to the chorus. Yes, judging by the first line of the chorus, it sounds pretty negative but words by themselves can be deiceiving. It sounds negative but it is no way shape or form trying to get you depressed, the way the lyrics are sung are more mellow and calm(well as calm as Sotto can get while still maintaing interest to the listetener). The song continues, still having that emphasis on keyboards and drums, both of them switching off which "The Dark Memories" did not have in it. The next chorus is actually followed by another chorus. I know earlier I said that choruses were great... Just in this song the chorus doesn't have that 'Delayed Epicness' feel to it like the other ones to me. After a vocal bridge, the solo kicks off and this is the only time I feel that the guitar stands out more than the other instruments, besides the first few seconds of the intro. The chorus continues to repeat after the solo and does so until the end of the song. The sound begins to fade away at the last 30 seconds of the song. This is also the first(and only from what I know) song from this album that has a music video.
Rating: 9/10

3. Virus- This song starts with a very good guitar intro, and about every ten seconds another instrument comes in to add variety. So it's the same thing on the guitar being played but effects and other instruments come in to add vareity. The intro continues, now having the drums come in and stay in. A symphony starts to chant words as Sotto's vocals seem to zig-zag and snake its way into existence, replacing the symphony as the keyboard plays some high notes to get you ready for the lyrics. The lyrics for this song are very good, especially having the drums, keyboards and guitars all giving you that "switch instrument emphasis" feel and sound. The chorus then comes in, it's that delayed type I was rambling on about earlier. After the chorus a creepy voice comes in as Sotto adds onto the demonic voice. The solo then comes in, packing more punch than Spill Blood on Fire's solo did. Very good guitar work, but sadly it feels like it just comes and goes. Keyword: FEEL, it's actually about 2 minutes long; the intricate work and complexity makes it feel like it went by fast. Sotto comes back in telling everyone that the virus will spread throughout the world. Some more shredding comes in followed by keyboards right before that chorus shows up again. Though this time it's much more toned down and empowered feeling, the chorus then repeats a little more like the first with more instrument work in it. The song ends with Sotto saying "Die!" and that demonic voice also says the same thing when it returns in this small yet exhilarating outro. If there are any two songs I would prefer from this album it would be Dark Memories and Virus.
Ratin: 10/10

4. The Power and Fury- This song begins blasting off with guitars and keyboards playing like crazy for about 3 seconds yet having a fast melodic feel. Cobriaux and Lapuze work their magic, and this time you can tell that there are two seperate guitars. Drummer Thomas Neves helps out in this goosebump-raising intro. Some excellent keyboard is played right before Sotto begins his vocal work. All instruments are well equalled once again, giving you that switching feeling I mentioned earlier. The chorus comes in, kicking butt like usual with the guitar solo coming in soon after. Except this time the keyboards are in the beginning playing with the guitar very well. Actually I think this solo would be more accurately called two solos, with the keyboards at first then the guitars. Sotto comes in with a vocal bridge before Cobriaux shreds out to another yet shorter guitar solo, doing it alone this time. The pre-chorus and chorus come in one last time before the song ends with Sotto saying: "The power and fury!"
Rating: 8/10

5. Wasted Time- With a nice guitar playing with vocals starting right at the start for once, this is one Heavenly's calmer intros on this album. You'd think it would be a ballad; boy would you be wrong once you got past the 31 second mark. Great work from all band members as the song progresses. Some keyboards and backing vocals show up, adding to your interest in the song. At time marker 1:38 guest vocalist Tony Kakko of fellow power metal band Sonata Arctica comes in with his awesome vocal work. Tony sings right before all the members of Heavenly who do vocal work sing the chorus together. Another verse or two before the chorus comes in for a second time(sadly no Tony beforehand this time). The solo blasts in and a distinct feature about this one is during the solo one of the guitarist does a "galloping" noise in the background as the lead guitar does some awesome work. Sotto comes in shrieking with the keyboard for a quick bridge. Cobriaux and Lapauze continue their great work until the chorus appears for the third time followed by a verse. Wasted Time ends with this song's great chorus.

6. Bravery in the Field- A great guitar and keyboard intro here, in reminisce of "The Power and Fury's" intro a whopping one song ago. Don't worry this one is different and much longer. The vocals start with keyboards sticking out more than the rest of the instruments as Sotto sings. That delayed yet awesome chorus begins right before the guitar solo launches. Some more interesting work from all instrumentalists in this solo. The guitars and keyboard then change pace as Sotto begins singing this bridge, which is one of the best bridges on this album. Of course, that good ol' chorus comes in two more times, but this time Sotto sings an alternate chorus with different lyrics before the song ends.
Rating: 8/10

7.Liberty- Now this song starts off a little more "weird" compared to the others: The chorus is actually sung as the intro to this song as all members contribute to this full band intro. After a face paced instrumental bridge with the drums and guitars, everything transitions into a more calm pace with Sotto singing pretty low. The effects on his vocals are great. The special effects then disappear as he resumes his usual high octave singing. The song continues, bringing good work from everyone as the verses go on. The chorus appears again giving you a more exhilarating feeling than the first time it was last heard. Guitar solo after chorus, this one though gives off a hopeful feeling in one part of the solo. All instruments stop playing except for the keyboard that takes on a piano sound this time as Sotto repeats the chorus. Backing vocals come in, and all the vocals then sing the chorus in harmony one last time as the guitar ends the song well.

8.When the Rain Begins to Fall- The soft falling of rain is heard at the beginning of this song. Bass then comes in followed by keyboards and drums all in melody. Guitars come in with a nice riff.... But wait, this song is actually a COVER! Of whom you ask? Jermanie Jackson and Zia Padora. You're about as surprised as I was. Well these two did this song together and Heavenly covered it. You say Havenly doesn't have a chick vocalist? They don't, that's why they invited Tanja Lainio of Gothic metal band Lullacry to guest appear for this song. This song is very different from others as Sotto and Lainio seem to sing the verses to each other switching off every now and then as the rest of the instrumentalists of Heavenly make you think: "How the heck is this a freakin' Jermanie Jackson and Zia Padora cover?" And despite Tanja coming from a gothic metal band she has a very beautiful voice. Everyone who sings plays a part in the chorus. Before you guys ask, yes this is the same band that was singing about spilling blood on fire and having a virus infect the entire world. A very radical change I must say. Anyway, this song is very well made, Cobriaux and Lapuaze really had to get creative to fit guitar work into this pop cover(which had no guitars at all). Being the metal head that I am, I prefer the Heavenly version much better.
Rating: 10/10

9. The Prince of the World- This song starts off with a very awesome sounding drum solo by Neves which this album hasn't seen until now. Well better late than never I suppose. At the 10 second mark guitars and keyboard come into play with beat Neves had in his intro. Sotto begins singing after a guitar bridge and this song is a more sad one lyrically. The vocals don't have much time before the crazy guitar solo comes in, the chorus is actually the bulk of the lyrics in this song unlike the 4 or 5 verses right before the chorus in earlier songs. A nice instumental melody comes in before Sotto repeats the chorus for the second and third time. The song ends with piano playing as Sotto sings: "ohh" with the beat of the song but much more calmly this time. A very beautiful way to end a great album.
Rating: 7.5/10

From hatred and viruses to rain and princes this is my review for the Virus album, a must listen to for all power metal fans. I hope this review gets you all interested in Heavenly as I was when I first heard them. Rest assured I'll be trying to avoid typing the word chorus for a week lol!

Anyway here is the overall score: 8.9/10.
Now these 9 songs aren't the only ones for this album, they have two bonus tracks that I didn't include in this review becase, well they were Japanese exclusive tracks. I would still give them a listen to if you liked the rest of this album. The two songs are a remix of "Spill Blood on Fire" and an all new song called "The Joker"

Feedback would be most appreciated guys Horns Have fun jamming out!
Back to top Go down
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Male Number of posts : 724
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 2:57 pm

The Joker wasn't all that good to be honest, so getting the Jap release for it is not advised ^^

Great review Shadow! Heavenly is a really great, consistent band that's worth a listen from all power metal fans! ;D

The Power and the Fury is my favorite on this album BTW, just kicks so much ass.
Back to top Go down
Shadow501
Traveller
Traveller
Shadow501

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm

^^ Thanks, Vggamegod! And here I thought I was going to hyperventilate to death because no one was reacting to my review lol!

And at least we didn't miss anything good with The Joker, that would've been yet another exclusive and good thing Japan got that nobody else did if The Joker was a good song.
Back to top Go down
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:07 pm

Shadow501 wrote:
^^ Thanks, Vggamegod! And here I thought I was going to hyperventilate to death because no one was reacting to my review lol!

Hehe, I understand as no one ever responded to my Fairyland review lol And yours is substantially longer and more thought out.

Yah, it's recommended if anyone wants to hear the Joker, just snatch it off Youtube or something. Someone else may like it more than I.

Heavenly's Ben Soto is one of the better vocalists in power metal also in my opinion. I'll add I agree with you on When the Rain Begins to Fall, much better than the weak ass original ^^
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:18 pm

Well, if you review something like "Master of Puppets", you'll get a lot of responses.
Why? Because most metal fans (excepting me) loved the album!
Of course the fact that it's more well known allows it to garner a larger base of people who know exactly "what the fuck" you're talking about. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 pm

WinterSon wrote:
Well, if you review something like "Master of Puppets", you'll get a lot of responses.
Why? Because most metal fans (excepting me) loved the album!
Of course the fact that it's more well known allows it to garner a larger base of people who know exactly "what the fuck" you're talking about. Razz

Maybe they'd learn about something other than what's on GH or RB if they'd read some reviews Razz

Avoiding things because they know so little about them is the dumbest thing people can do....

Even though I know little and like even less when it comes to progressive rock (like Dream Theater Razz), country, pop, etc I will still give any song a chance to show me what it's about, even if i'm sure i won't like it.
Back to top Go down
infernoRS
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
infernoRS

Male Number of posts : 360
User Reputation : 1
User Points : 367
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 8:57 pm

Damn good review. I drove to the nearest metal store to buy Virus when I finished listening to it from tube... I haven't listened to it very much but The Power And Fury is my fav too.
Back to top Go down
Shadow501
Traveller
Traveller
Shadow501

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks guys and I'm glad I got some people interested, so my goal has been achieved Very Happy

And WinterSon, I would love to do Master of Puppets or practically any other Metallica record. But it would be kind of a waste of time to do a review on Master of Puppets, since well most fans like it Razz But good suggestion nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:54 am

Shadow501 wrote:
Thanks guys and I'm glad I got some people interested, so my goal has been achieved Very Happy

And WinterSon, I would love to do Master of Puppets or practically any other Metallica record. But it would be kind of a waste of time to do a review on Master of Puppets, since well most fans like it Razz But good suggestion nonetheless.

It wasn't a suggestion, in fact i'll take the time to make this comment to speak against a review of any Metallica album, unless it's charged with negative feelings. Razz

Stick with the albums that we may not know about, and leave a video in too. Very Happy
After all, it was a video I posted on a whim that made Vggamegod like Ensiferum. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
BuzzPhil
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
BuzzPhil

Male Number of posts : 458
User Reputation : 3
User Points : 533
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:06 am

Well... I didn't hear about them before... So I go on Youtube to listening the whole album!! For the moment, I've listened their first three songs on this album and I love a lot what I listened, so I'm gonna listen the rest of the album maybe tomorrow... Great discover, thanks Shadow!!

[Edit] Well... That's a pretty good album... I'm gonna try to buy it!! Wasted Time and Spill Blood On Fire are clearly my favourites!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heavenly- Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heavenly- Virus   Heavenly- Virus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heavenly- Virus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PowerMetalLivesOn :: Share The Metal :: Album Reviews-
Jump to: