PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_vote_lcapFairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_voting_barFairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_vote_lcapFairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_voting_barFairyland - Score To A New Beginning I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Male Number of posts : 724
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Empty
PostSubject: Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning   Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:52 pm

OK, I've had a chance to give this album a listen. My conclusion is if you think you're a fan of symphonic metal and you don't purchase this album....you're a fucking idiot.

This album proves once and for all why Fairyland isn't just a 'Rhapsody of Fire ripoff', as Philippe Giordana proves for a third time he composes epic symphonic metal on par with, if not better than, Luca Turilli.

Score To A New Beginning is not what I first expected from Fairyland. This album IS epic symphonic metal, but it also incorporates many progressive elements into the mix, most notably on the album's title track 'Score To A New Beginning'. Many of the tracks incorporate multiple melodies throughout, as stated earlier, Score To A New Beginning is the prime example of this, with at least 5 distinct melodies within it's 9 minute run time.

The vocals are slightly more 'modern' so to speak than Fairyland's last album 'Fall of An Empire', and much more so than the vocals on Fairyland's first release 'Of Wars In Osyrhia'. The edgier, raspier vocals add an interesting edge to the symphonic metal status quo of operatic tenors such as Fabio Lione and add more texture than Lione's terrible semi-growling on RoF's later releases. Also in addition to the main vocalist, there are a number of guest vocalists with spots interspersed throughout the album, with the final track being sung entirely via soprano. The additional vocalists add another interesting facet to this wonderful album. Overall the Vocals are high-tier, not perfect, but definitely great.

The guitar work and drumming are top-notch and all you expect from experienced metal musicians without putting too much emphasis on riffing and shredding. At first the album seemed a bit bass-heavy, but as it progressed it seemed to either tone down a bit or feel natural with the epic melodies, I haven't decided which it is yet.

The album's main instrument is obviously the synth keyboard at which Giordana excels. At times the synth solos may seem a bit strange and out of place; as they are performed as one would do a guitar solo - but after you hear the synth solos a couple of times, it starts to make sense within the context of the sound. Also on high display is the gratuitous use of choruses, which adds heaps of 'epic' to the sound, especially when interspersed among the lead vocalists verses to add an emphasis on important lyrics and an outlet for more heaps of 'epic'.

On top of the aforementioned instruments, as expected Fairyland incorporates many classical orchestra instruments into the mix, most notably on the albums introductory track "Opening Credits" and "Rise of the Giants". The instrumentals are as epic as the majority metal portions of the album and show why Philippe Giordana is as masterful a composer as ever lived.

The album's overall tempo falls between Mid-high tempo with obvious exceptions being the instrumentals and ballad segments. Overall not too slow or too fast, the tempo works perfectly with the other facets of the album to create a unique atmosphere.

I'm not going to go through a long, drawn-out description of each individual track, as this album must be listened to as a whole (at least the first time) to really take in what you're experiencing. This album is precisely a work of art, and Philippe Giordana should be recognized as an artist. Score To A New Beginning should be considered his current masterpiece, in my humble opinion.

Giving this album an arbitrary numerical score is pointless, as it only reflects my personal opinion. But, I will add it anyway for anyone who likes arbitrary numbers.

9.5 / 10
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning   Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 pm

You know...I just realized Philippe Giordana posted on my Score to a New Beginning Audio Video. LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Male Number of posts : 724
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning   Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 am

WinterSon wrote:
You know...I just realized Philippe Giordana posted on my Score to a New Beginning Audio Video. LOL.

Wow, hahaha nice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning   Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PowerMetalLivesOn :: Share The Metal :: Album Reviews-
Jump to: