PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_vote_lcapAmon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_voting_barAmon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_vote_lcapAmon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_voting_barAmon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Empty
PostSubject: Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]   Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 9:37 pm

After about over 200 plays of this album, I feel I have enough knowledge of every tidbit of this album to make a decent review of it.
First of all, allow me to better acquaint you with the band.

Johan Hegg - Lead Vocals, God of the Mortal Plane
Johan Söderberg - Lead/Rhythm Guitars
Olavi Mikkonen - Lead Rhythm/Guitars
Ted Lundström - Bass
Fredrik Andersson - Skins of War

For those who aren't avid fans of the renowned Nordic lyric, this album may come off as nothing but mixing English filler words with a bunch of Prose and Poetic vocabulary influence, such as Varyags, Hloðyn, Jormungandr, Fenris, Asagods, and etc.
However, regardless of lyrics, Amon Amarth has delivered yet another strong metal effort, where the riffs and the styles aren't too complex, yet they are wrapped together in that fashion where you can just turn on this album and march into battle, axes high.

Twilight of the Thunder God
This song is the mighty opening of the album, it starts off with a memorable melodic death metal riff, as the drums build up into a machinegun full of galloping rage. Hegg enters in strongly with the lyric "Here comes Fenris wolf". The chorus is a blizzard wall of sound filled with grinding dual guitars and a full-out assault of drums, bass, and growls. The bridge section is where it gets epic, Andersson begins a steady rock beat, as the Söderberg/Mikkonen combo start off a mighty riff-blast, Andersson then starts a war-drum-esque rhythm on the toms, and it gradually builds up amongst the chanting of "Twilight, of the thunder god". Enter Roope Latvala, the special guest of this song, bringing his mighty Finnish shredster style to create one of the greater Amon Amarth solos available, the song ends on the final chorus, and we are all left awestruck. 9.5/10

Free Will Sacrifice
The riff is again, simple but memorable, enjoyable and shatteringly heavy. After the first verse, comes the filler-verse, which presents itself in a melodic upbringing by the dual guitar combination. Johan Hegg gives this song a pseudo melodic death-thrash attack. An awesome piece, but not the best. 8/10

Guardians of Asgaard
A booming entrance with ANOTHER memorable riff, sliding down into a palm muted two beat charge before entering the main rhythm. Johan Hegg booms his mighty vocals, but is joined by a special guest, Mr. Lars Göran Petrov of Entombed, bellowing out his mighty growls alongside Hegg. The song keeps rising in force with the same booming presence, and gives in to the highlight of Olavi Mikkonen playing a slow but soulfully played solo. Afterwards the song condescends into the final boom. A masterpiece. 9.5/10

Where is Your God?
A strangely manipulated piece, it was a bit hard for me to find the enjoyment in this piece, however, that is simply the beginning. As it progresses, one makes out a very aggressive assault in the song, and therefore it might take getting used to in the first place. 7.5/10

Varyags of Miklagaard
A melodic death attack, beginning with a wardrum-esque tom-attack from Andersson, before a nicely timed dual guitar riff begins. The song then brings itself into a flurry of triplets underneath some of the more catchier lyrical phrasing and boom of Johan Hegg. The verse builds up in strength before the pre chorus presents itself in one of the most epic riffs one can ever here, finely alternatively picked, and bringing itself onto the powerfully executed chorus, afterwards its the post-chorus, with a very folk-metal influenced riff fashion. The song then basically repeats itself from the beginning, with a bit more oomph this time. 9/10

Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags
This album's arguable battle ballad of heavy metal. It starts off with an executed tremolo attack all finalized with one bass note. Then throughout the song is a constant upbringing of heavy tremolo picking, all over a strong deep section with compliments to Lundström and Andersson. Johan Hegg's agonizing growls bring this piece into a chilling chant of honor and warfare. Your heart will burn to the touch of this song, it will turn anyone into a patriot for their country, or for any cause. After the second verse, you hear a beautifully alternatively picked epic section, brought out by strong crash cymbals and Johan Hegg's great presence of voice. The song continues in this fashion, after a small interlude of the work of dual guitar power. 10/10

No Fear for the Setting Sun
Another preferable filler track, but it is somewhat enjoyable, this song presents itself in a typical 4/4 fashion, with some syncopated forms of vocal styles. 7.5/10

The Hero
This song starts off with a brilliantly executed rise of guitars and feedback. Another memorable riff starts the main song, and Johan Hegg begins his vocal assault right away, this lyric is a grim tale, one should hear it. After the first verse, there lies one of the greatest riffs in my opinion, simple, sufficient, EPIC. Johan Hegg then vocalizes over this riff. The song continues itself, brings itself to an uprise moment again, and falls with the chanting of "I am an evil man". 9.5/10

Live for the Kill
A power metal-esque riff opens up the song, before turning back into melodic death mastery. Warchants are prominent in this song, so is that amazing fast paced battle rhythm. A somber melodic riff accompanies the pre-choral section, and the bridge is complemented with a nice solo section and guest Cellists Apocalyptica. Afterwards, the song then rises again to the original pace of strength. 9/10

Embrace of the Endless Ocean
The lyric here is saddening, and this piece is arguably one of my favorite Amon Amarth songs. The melodies are sweet, the rhythm is epic yet slow to be beautiful, the riffs are played on the offbeats and form an atmosphere of grace, melodic instrumental sections are prominent, and they are surely amazing. This song is a masterpiece ending, do not pass this track. 10/10

Overall album score: 9/10
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
Vggamegod
Warrior King
Warrior King
Vggamegod

Male Number of posts : 724
User Reputation : 4
User Points : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]   Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:06 am

Excellent review, I've had a chance to listen to some of the songs and I must say, good shit, good shit.
Back to top Go down
PowerMetalLivesOn
Warrior King
Warrior King
PowerMetalLivesOn

Male Number of posts : 1606
User Reputation : 7
User Points : 542
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]   Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:09 am

First off, great review Winterson Horns

I agree, 'Where Is Your God?' takes some getting used to but it certainly is one of my favourites from the album Very Happy

I love the title track and also 'Guardians of Asgaard' and the riff in 'Free Will Sacrafice' is....epic

The other thing that stands out for me is the haunting opening for 'Embrace of the Endless Ocean'

Such great musicianship on this album and of course, you can't forget Hegg's vocals. He is getting better and better...and 'With Oden On Our Side' had such great vocals so to improve after that is some feat.

2nd favourite album of 2008 after 'Sagas'
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/powermetalliveson
NightwalkerRicku
Warrior King
Warrior King
NightwalkerRicku

Male Number of posts : 794
User Reputation : 1
User Points : 380
Registration date : 2008-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]   Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 3:57 am

incredible review Horns and yeah you are right! each of their songs is so epic that you feel like you are about to charge into battle with the rest of the Vikings. the feeling is priceless if you listen to Twilight of a thunder god or any other album (especially With Oden On Our Side) on the loudspeakers in a high volume!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ricku13
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]   Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God [Review]
Page 1 of 1