PowerMetalLivesOn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerMetalLivesOn

We Shall Die For Metal! Horns Up Brothers!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Wintersun's debut Dlgn6g
Statistics
We have 361 registered users
The newest registered user is hpp1976

Our users have posted a total of 14467 messages in 1099 subjects
Top posters
Rokai
Wintersun's debut I_vote_lcapWintersun's debut I_voting_barWintersun's debut I_vote_rcap 
PowerMetalLivesOn
Wintersun's debut I_vote_lcapWintersun's debut I_voting_barWintersun's debut I_vote_rcap 
TCJacko
NightwalkerRicku
metaldrummer93
Vggamegod
yoshimitsublade13
Metallhead123
balrog
WinterSon
Forum. Discuss heavy metal and its sub-genres. Off topic area aswell. Great place for metalheads to meet up.

Wintersun's debut

Go down 
+4
metaldrummer93
PowerMetalLivesOn
joplajop
WinterSon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 am

There is only one band from Finland that has shaken Europe so suddenly.
It is Wintersun, the band that was supposed to be a side project of former Ensiferum frontman Jari Mäenpää.
Considering this is my favorite album of all time, I would share my review heartily.

Track 1:
Beyond the Dark Sun ( 2:38 )
A speedy, short, melodic assault. A wonderful introduction into what the album holds, contains a spoken-word poem written by Mr. Mäenpää himself for the first lines of the song. Includes great technical melodeath notation, a couple of artful sweeps near the beginning, and ending hauntingly, you'd almost thing the song was a bit longer.
Song Rating: 9/10

Track 2:
Winter Madness ( 5:08 )
In my opinion, the album's magnum opus song. Right from the beginning is a brutal drumming attack and a rapid flurry of guitar power. As the song progresses, we see time signature changes, use of soft layered keyboards, combination of harsh and clean vocals, and CHORUS! The melodic lead guitar part is endless and complex, and in the middle of the song is one of the greatest solos you would ever hear, utilizing sweep tapping, pick sweeps, tapping, harmonics, tremolo picking, and alternate picking mastery. The song doesn't end there, a short interlude of neo-classical wintery assault awaits at the end of the solo, before the chorus strikes again, ending the song with a shrilling yell of "MIIIIIIGHT".
Song Rating: 11/10

Track 3:
Sleeping Stars ( 5:41 )
A slower ballad that gradually rises into an epic, symphonic sound, with hints of black metal. Includes a chilling keyboard melody that sounds as if you were staring into a cosmic blaze. This song is heavily keyboard laden, and the whole epic feel of it attributes to the keys. Song includes layered vocals for a choir effect, slower guitar melodies, all over a constant technical drum beat that rises and falls from soft to double-bass extremities.
Song Rating: 10/10

Track 4:
Battle Against Time ( 7:03 )
A median between the speedy Winter Madness and the brooding Sleeping Stars. Features keys and guitars ever working together, and again the layered vocal choir effect. The intro is a galloping brain-freeze! As it progresses, we see blastbeats and a never ending lead guitar part, then goes into a Bodom-esque syncopated interlude between choruses and verses. This song is a beautiful aggression!
Song Rating: 9.5/10

Track 5:
Death and the Healing ( 7:13 )
The album's ballad extreme. It starts off with a beautiful, beautiful riff, over a simple but feeling-laden drum part. Keys add the choral effect to present the upbringing of light and coldness in the air. It's slowness should not prevent it from making it one of the greatest songs ever created. This song features full clean vocals, with solos that are a slower, but still speedy, melodic approach, making room for sweeps, artful picking, and those Gilmour-esque notes that are chock-full of emotion. Female choral effects, perhaps through keyboard use, make their appearance in this song, adding more epic-resolve into an already epic song.
Song Rating: 11/10

Track 6:
Starchild ( 7:54 )
A return to the speedy resolve of Beyond the Dark Sun, with a longer, more progressive, and aggressive approach. This song features artful drum fills, and is heavily revolved around Jari's vocal power (amazing considering he has one working lung and half of another). The song features a condescending arpeggio riff in the song's progression, and adds to the fantasy-themed mastery of it. Again, Jari's vocal power brings life into this song, including his unsupported mixes through his trademark wolf-screams and his tonal cleans. A short folk jingle is included, evidence that Jari is not devoid of Ensiferum-style songwriting.

Track 7:
Beautiful Death ( 8:16 )
The most complex song on the album in my opinion, the drums are all out, the guitar is all out, and the keys make one of their prime moments on this song. Whispered vocals on some parts, ever returning to some of the greatest Melodic Death growls one can ever hear. Kai Hahto does not back down on this song, this is true, he keeps blasting away on nearly every single piece of drum equipment he has, nearly every cymbal, every tom! Spoken-word bridge and clean vocals around it create an epic transition from the verse-bridge-verse-chorus!

Track 8:
Sadness and Hate ( 10:16 )
The ever so epic ending, it is similar to Death and the Healing, yet it presents the melancholic tone in a more aggressive and progressive manner. Acoustic guitars play a huge role in this song, as do alternating between electric, acoustic, soft and loud. Kai Hahto switches from mind-breaking drum assaults to clean, basic interludes found in simple progressive rock drumming. The song features drastic time signature changes, sound level, and overall theme changes, making for an unforgettable album end. The folky jingles make their entrance again in the middle of the song, noticeable in Jari chorals that make it really hard to distinguish between Wintersun and Ensiferum.

Overall album rating: 10.2/10
Relativity: 10/10

It's a perfect album, it combines every single form of brilliant metal one can hear.
Melodic Death Metal, Folk Metal, Black Metal, Symphonic Metal, and Power Metal!
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
joplajop
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
joplajop

Male Number of posts : 294
User Reputation : 1
User Points : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:34 am

Nice review!
Back to top Go down
PowerMetalLivesOn
Warrior King
Warrior King
PowerMetalLivesOn

Male Number of posts : 1606
User Reputation : 7
User Points : 542
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:59 am

that was a good review Horns
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/powermetalliveson
metaldrummer93
Warrior King
Warrior King
metaldrummer93

Male Number of posts : 764
User Points : 76
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:51 am

This is what an album review should be like. cheers cheers cheers

Not my fav band at the moment cos they have pulled out of the Bloodstock festival

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jasbmetaldrummer
Metallhead123
Warrior King
Warrior King
Metallhead123

Male Number of posts : 539
User Reputation : 5
User Points : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:59 am

Nice review Andru, this is definitely one of my all time favorite albums.

Horns Very Happy Horns
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalHeadOwnage
MetalNiller
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
MetalNiller

Male Number of posts : 346
User Reputation : 2
User Points : 49
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 am

Superb review!!!

I love Wintersun so much! When will a new album be produced? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WinterSon
Crown Prince
Crown Prince
WinterSon

Male Number of posts : 475
User Reputation : 10
User Points : 467
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 am

MetalNiller wrote:
Superb review!!!

Their second album "Time" has been in the works est. 2005, however, due to Jari's on-the-brink-of-poverty income he can't afford superman equipment for recording, thus, the equipment overloaded/malfunctioned, delaying the album further.
Wintersun shows were cancelled in 2009 because Jari wanted to finish the second album before they go and play anymore shows. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://alizee-forum.com
Lokimor
Soldier
Soldier
Lokimor

Male Number of posts : 103
User Points : 86
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:52 am

A masterpiece, and it was all done by Jari and one drummer.

Jari played both 2 guitars, bass, vocals and synths.

Starchild is my favorite song of the album.
Back to top Go down
NightwalkerRicku
Warrior King
Warrior King
NightwalkerRicku

Male Number of posts : 794
User Points : 380
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:23 am

one of the albums im considering of buying. my favorite is beautiful death but starchild and winter madness alone make it an album worth your money Horns
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ricku13
MetalNiller
Sorcerer
Sorcerer
MetalNiller

Male Number of posts : 346
User Points : 49
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:50 am

WinterSon wrote:
MetalNiller wrote:
Superb review!!!

Their second album "Time" has been in the works est. 2005, however, due to Jari's on-the-brink-of-poverty income he can't afford superman equipment for recording, thus, the equipment overloaded/malfunctioned, delaying the album further.
Wintersun shows were cancelled in 2009 because Jari wanted to finish the second album before they go and play anymore shows. Wink

Thank you! I will be looking forward to that! Very Happy

My favourite songs are "Death And The Healing" and "Beyond The Dark Sun" Headbang
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wintersun's debut Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wintersun's debut   Wintersun's debut Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wintersun's debut
Page 1 of 1